This Lentil and walnut holiday dip – a Vegan version of french rillettes – is a healthy, seasonal recipe that only requires a handful of ingredients and that will be perfect for your holiday table.
Hello my beautiful friends! The holidays are right around the corner in case you didn’t notice :D we have Thanksgiving coming up for my USA-based friends, then Christmas of course, but also Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and many more!
There’s lots of occasions to celebrate, and lots of holiday entertaining to do. So today I want to show you how to make a simple, healthy holiday dip recipe. It only requires 3 main ingredients (plus condiments) and it is a yummy, cruelty-free, Vegan version of the french “rillettes”.
I really think that dips are one of the best things you can make for a holiday party, because they are always a crowd-pleaser, they are simple to make and you can prepare them ahead of time – or instead at the very last minute!
They are also easy to bring them with you at a friend’s house or you can serve them beautifully at home. If you want to learn how to create the perfect Antipasto platter, it’s this way!
Dips are so versatile and definitely a must have on your holiday table.
To veganize this traditional pâté you need three main elements: a brown color, a chewy texture, and a rather smoky taste. So to make my delicious, kind version of rillettes, that will be sure to please everyone at your table, I’ve used brown lentils, crushed walnuts and chopped onions, all bound with a dash of olive oil, and enhanced with a little paprika.
Want to make this holiday dip with me? Then read on!
Vegan rillettes: Lentil and walnut dip
- 1 cup brown lentils cooked or canned
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 onion
- 1-2 tbsp EVOO
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch Hungarian sweet paprika optional
- 1 pinch salt and pepper (omit salt if using soy sauce)
- Roast your walnuts for 5 minutes in a non-stick pan.
- In the meantime, finely mince the onion trying to obtain long strips that will provide the rillettes' chewy (read: filamentous) texture. Cook them a in non-stick pan with 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium high heat, until caramelization or until you reach a beautiful coloring. Add a bit of water along the way if necessary. This should take around 10/15 minutes.
- Once the walnuts are roasted and the onions have caramelized, put the following ingredients in the bowl of a blender: the brown lentils, roasted walnuts, minced onion, soy sauce and lemon juice.
- Mix until you get a creamy but not completely smooth texture (you might want to use the pulse button for this). If the mixture is too dry, add a little water. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to your liking.
- Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle with a pinch of sweet paprika before serving. This Lentil and Walnut holiday dip can be served warm (if the lentils have just been cooked), at room-temperature or even cold. It has the perfect creamy but hearty consistency! Serve it on roasted bread or crackers, or with pickles, carrot sticks, celery sticks, salad leaves... so many possibilities... Enjoy!
Did you enjoy this recipe? What are you planning to cook for your family and loved ones this holiday season?
Let me know in the comments, and don’t forget to pin this post to share the love ♥
I wish you a love-filled day xoxo