Find out some of the most wonderful Ylang Ylang essential oil benefits and uses, including its calming and relaxing effects for the body and mind
Hello my beautiful friends!
As you probably already know if you’ve been reading SevenRoses for some time, essential oils have been part of my daily routine for several years now. Inside those small amber glass bottles there are concentrates of powerful aromatic molecules which bring many benefits to our bodies and mind. Among them, Ylang Ylang essential oil seduced me by its unquestionable effectiveness, and I use it to take care of my skin, my hair but also for its soothing and relaxing benefits.
So today we’ll dive into the wonderfully aromatic world of this powerful essence, to discover which Ylang Ylang essential oil benefits and uses might fit your daily routine.
What is Ylang Ylang essential oil?
Native to the Philippines and Indonesia, the Cananga odorata (ylang ylang) tree, and its flowers in particular, have many benefits for health, beauty and well-being.
Traditionally used as the bridal room decor for its aromatic scent, this wonderful essential oil today is widely used in aromatherapy and cosmetics.
Ylang ylang essential oil is extracted from the flowers of the kananga tree, and it is obtained by hydro-distillation. If you want to know more, read on to discover the impressive benefits of this essential oil for health, beauty and well-being.
How to use Ylang Ylang essential oil?
You can either inhale it using your essential oil diffuser, a cotton handkerchief, a lava rock or a diffuser piece of jewelry. Alternatively you can massage it diluted with a vegetable oil, directly on your skin: on the back of your neck, on your wrists or the solar plexus for example.
It should be noted that the internal use of ylang ylang essential oil is not recommended, since it can have toxic effects. To avoid all risks, pregnant or breastfeeding women and children should consult their doctors before using essential oils. This is not medical information, this post cannot replace the advice and prescriptions given by a doctor.
51 Ylang Ylang essential oil benefits & uses: the complete guide
Main Ylang Ylang essential oil benefits:
- 1. Antidepressant
- 2. Anti-fatigue (psychological, physical…)
- 3. Hypotensive
- 4. Cardiac regulator (antiarrhythmic)
- 5. Antispasmodic
- 6. Analgesic (throbbing pain, cramps, etc.)
- 7. Sedative
- 8. Help in case of panic attacks
- 9. Aphrodisiac
- 10. Fights hair loss
Ylang Ylang essential oil benefits for the hair
- 11. Ylang ylang is a great hair tonic and promotes hair growth and shine.
- 12. This essential oil has a vasoldilator effect which promotes blood circulation in the scalp.
- 13. As a hair growth treatment, add 1 or 2 drops of ylang ylang essential oil to the usual dose of your shampoo and massage your scalp for 1 minute to reduce hair loss and promote new hair growth.
- 14. A scalp massage with ylang ylang brings to your hair follicles the supply of oxygen and nutrients necessary for hair growth.
- 15. Thanks to its strong anti-inflammatory properties, this essential oil can also relieve irritations and an itchy scalp.
- 16. If you have dry hair, apply this simple hair mask twice a week, before going to bed : mix 5 drops of ylang ylang essential oil and 20 drops of castor oil. The next day, wash your hair with a neutral shampoo to reduce frizz and dryness (you might need to shampoo twice).
- 17. The essential oil of ylang ylang also has strong antiseptic, antibacterial and antifungal properties which slow down the proliferation of germs which can cause dandruff or hair loss.
- 18. These same antiseptic, antibacterial and antifungal properties also make ylang ylang e.o. a great weapon against lice.
- 19. For the ultimate ylang ylang essential oil hair mask, try a hot oil hair treatment: simply heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil, add 5 drops of ylang ylang essential oil and apply this mixture to your scalp, cover and let rest for at least 30 minutes or even overnight.
Ylang Ylang essential oil benefits for the skin
- 20. Ylang ylang essential oil balances and stabilizes sebum production.
- 21. It also prevents excessive dryness or oiliness.
- 22. To combat oily skin place 1 drop of ylang ylang essential oil in your day cream avoiding the eye area, and massage until absorption.
- 23. Ylang ylang e.o. can also soothe inflammation and irritation of the skin.
- 24. Thanks to its antimicrobial properties Ylang ylang essential oil is also an effective way to treat acne.
- 25. To purify the skin, pour 3 drops of ylang ylang essential oil in a bowl of boiling water. Place your face above, covering the head with a towel to create a mini facial hammam. 5 minutes will be enough for the vapors to purify the skin.
- 26. Its regenerating benefits promote the slowing of aging of the skin.
- 27. To combat dull skin: pour 1 drop of ylang ylang essential oil in your day cream avoiding the eye area, and apply.
- 28. Some studies showed benefits of ylang ylang to fight against stretchmarks: for this treatment dilute 4 drops in your carrier oil of choice (jojoba oil, olive oil, etc.) and apply every day.
- 29. Ylang Ylang essential oil is a skin antiparasitic (against lice, mites, ticks).
- 30. For an aromatic DIY perfume, fill a small roller bottle with almond or jojoba oil, and add 15 drops of ylang ylang.Roll onto your wrist or behind your neck for maximum impact. Or even better, put a couple of drop in a specially-designed diffuser bracelet or necklace like this adorable Rose Gold Essential Oil Aromatherapy Jewelry
Ylang Ylang essential oil benefits for your health
30. When used in a diffuser, this amazing oil helps to reduce stress, anxiety, muscle spasms, lower blood pressure, and fight insomnia.
- 31. Ylang Ylang essential oil contains geranyl acetate, a relaxing molecule that acts on the central nervous system.
- 32. Clinical studies have shown that percutaneous application or doffusion of Ylang Ylang essential oil is able to slow down the respiratory rate and the heart rate.
- 33. Ylang ylang essential oil is said to have anti-depressant properties: not only rids it us of negative feelings, including nervousness and fatigue, but it also promotes positive feelings of cheerfulness and optimism, thereby improving the good vibes.
- 34. A study published in 2012 by Hindawi – Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, found that inhaling ylang ylang essential oil has relaxation effects for controlling hypertension and lowering cortisol levels (but please talk to your GP and make lifestyle/dietary changes if you have high blood pressure).
- 35. Ylang ylang essential oil is associated with the 2nd chakra, the sexual chakra: Svadhisthana.
- 36. Sprayed or diffused, Ylang ylang essential oil stimulates libido and improves sensuality/romanticism in the couple.
- 37. For sexual disorders (asthenia, frigidity, impotence), it can be diffused in the bedroom, but its properties will work much better during a sensual massage ;)
- 38. Place a few drops on a handkerchief and breathe in case of great stress, nervousness, anxiety.
- 39. In addition to its relaxing and re-boosting benefits, ylang ylang can protect you against winter infections: to do this, pour 1 or 2 drops of organic ylang ylang essential oil on a porous lava rock diffuser. Place this rock in your room to enjoy the fragrant notes.
- 40. At the end of the day, give yourself a relaxing massage by mixing a few drops of ylang ylang e.o. in some body oil, and massage on the solar plexus, along the spine, on the nape of the neck, and on the soles of the feet.
- 41. Ylang-ylang works against all types of pain, especially muscle pain (cramps, strains).
- 42 To fight off period cramps massage a couple of drops on the lower abdomen, of course diluted in our favorite vegetable oil – even better if it’s lukewarm.
- 43. To fight off irritability and PMS: place 3 drops of complete ylang ylang essential oil in a diffuser, or inhale directly from the bottle.
Unusual Ylang Ylang Essential Oil Hacks
- 44. Rub a drop of ylang ylang e.o. on irritated ear lobes after wearing earrings. Its antinflammatory properties will relieve your ear lobes within minutes.
- 45. Put 5 drops of ylang ylang e.o. onto two cotton balls and place into your shoes. No more stinkly sneakers!
- 46. Make your home smell good every time you vacuum by placing a few drops of ylang ylang essential oil onto your vacuum filter or dust bag. Do this every time you empty your dust bag and your home will smell amazing.
- 47. Fight germs in your gym bag thanks to the antibacterial properties of ylang ylang: add a few drops of the e.o. to a damp cotton rag and wipe your gym bag down. Let air dry.
- 48. For a natural, zero-waste fabric softener that will improve the quality of your sleep, try adding a drop of ylang ylang essential oil to a cup of white vinegar and use instead of the softner. Your bed sheets will be soft and promote a restful sleep.
Ylang Ylang essential oil traditional uses around the world
- 49. In the Philippines, healers use oil to treat wounds from burns, cuts or stings.
50. On the Moluccan Islands, people use ylang ylang oil as the main ingredient in Macassar oil – a hair ointment.
51. In Indonesia, ylang ylang flowers are scattered on the bed of the newlyweds to create a romantic atmosphere.
Where to find good quality Ylang Ylang essential oil?
Make sure to check the label for the following characteristics, this is what a good Ylang Ylang essential oil should contain:
- germacrène D : 13 – 24 %
- β-caryophyllène : 5 – 17 %
- benzoate de benzyle : ≤ 12 %
- acétate de géranyle : 1 – 12 %
- linalol : 2 – 16 %
- trans trans α farnesène : 2 – 16 %
And if you’re interested, this is the one I’m using and loving at the moment: Healing Solutions Organic Ylang Ylang Essential Oil (100% Pure – USDA Certified Organic).
And a last word of advice:
You might want to ask advice to your doctor or pharmacist before using essential oils. Do not use on young children and pregnant or breastfeeding women. Never use pure on the skin (always in strong dilution in a carrier oil).
WARNING: These properties, indications and methods of use are in no way medical advice. They come from aromatherapy books or specialized websites. This information is given for information purposes. For any use of essential oils for therapeutic purposes, consult a doctor.
If you want to find out more about what are the best essential oils for your skincare routine, head on over to this interesting article at Radhabeauty.
And there you have it, 51 Ylang Ylang essential oil benefits & uses: the complete guide. I hope you enjoyed this post, and if you have tips, a favorite essential oil use or hack, let me know down in the comments.
And don’t forget to pin this post to share the love ♥
I wish you a love-filled day xoxo
Hi, thanks for recommending Ylang Ylang essential oil. As I’ve read this article, I could tell the soothing and calming effect of this oil. How often you have to use these essential oil per day? Thanks!
Francesca @ Seven Roses05/02/2020
Hi Alice, depending on the usage and the need, I would say twice a day is a good amount. All things in moderation ;)
“All things in moderation,.. including moderation!” as my dad likes to say ;)
Wow! Didn’t know Ylang ylang essential oil has a lot of benefits. I recently got interested in essential oil and this blog has helped me understand more about this eseential oil. Thank you!
Thanks for sharing this invaluable information. I really like essential oils but I’m a total newbie. Which is your favorite one, which would you recommend to begin with?